Rock a bye Babies…

About a month ago we picked up this guy of Craigslist for $75. The posting said it was tan microfiber. When we got to Portland to pick it up it was neither of the two. It ended up being light green and sort of velvet like. The posting also neglected to say that a marker had been taken to the back. I still thought it was totally worth the $75 and took it home! Initially I thought I could just get it professionally cleaned but once it was in the room the green was just all wrong to me.

Below is the best “Before” pictures I have. I tend to get pretty excited about projects and go ALL IN without regard to things like before pictures or even a general plan of attack. We started by taking off the bottom “just to see” how it was put together and if it looked “that hard” to re upholster myself. It looked like if I took the pieces off one by one I would be able to use them as a pattern to go off of. Brad humored me (like always) and helped me rip it apart.

IMG_5557IMG_5562IMG_5571

IMG_5547IMG_5620IMG_5622IMG_5625IMG_5633IMG_5636

Once It was all ripped apart I went to work fabric shopping. I took all the pieces to In Stock Fabrics here in Salem and they helped me decide how much fabric I needed and showed me some options. Unfortunately I wasn’t overly excited about the two (expensive) options I found so I bought what I could from the nice owners there… Upholstery needle for my sewing machine.. upholstery thread… piping… cardboard strips…and dust cover fabric and headed to a few more local fabric stores. These stores were a big two thumbs down, feeling as defeated as ever 6 months pregnant with a naked rocking chair waiting for me… I headed home.

Once home I headed to the internet to see what I could find. I quickly found Fabric.com proved to be as amazing as its URL. They had a ton to choose from and get this… FREE Shipping on ALL Returns even cut yards of fabric:: no questions asked. I found a fabric that looked similar to one I found at In Stock Fabrics but seemed to be a bit darker which was just what I wanted! Bonus it also ended up being about $10 a yard cheaper! I added it to my cart with one extra yard entered my $20 off + free shipping coupon code, and saved over 50% from the options I found in town.

Medium_UN-017

Click Here to see the fabric at Fabric.com

IMG_5643

I waited and waited and waited (5-7 days) and then ran home on my lunch break when I got an email saying that it had been dropped off on my front door. The fabric turned out to be the right type of upholstery material but slightly lighter than I had hoped. I cut my losses and decided that it was just “perfect” and went ahead and started cutting and sewing piece by piece.

I ran into some difficulties along the way but ended up piecing EVERYTHING back together! (yes… even the seat cushion Franks destroyed on my birthday)

2012-02-14_10-44-48_582 (1)

It is finally done almost exactly one month after we picked it up in Portland! Little over 7 months pregnant I can say I am SO HAPPY to be done with this project!

IMG_5919IMG_5922

IMG_5924IMG_5929IMG_5923IMG_5927IMG_5935IMG_5939

  • Chair $75
  • Fabric $67
  • Supplies $15
  • Spray adhesive for the seat cushion (Thanks to franks) $6

Total cost  = $163

The closest Wingback Rocker I have found is at Pottery Barn for a grand total of $879! Pretty exciting savings to me!

On to the next project…

IMG_5947

Adorable summer skirts

The day I got my camera we went to Hancock Fabrics to get some supplies for a  camera bag insert that I have yet to make. Hopefully another day another post, if I stop getting distracted. While I was in the such fabric store I spied a fabric I couldn’t leave without. Thankfully Brad was waiting in the car, purchasing fabric that isn’t intended for THE EXACT project I headed in there for is a big NO NO. I get things like this….

B: What are you going to make with that? A: Don’t know yet but its so cute.

B: You don’t even know how much you need. A: Well… I’ll just get 1 yard.

B: Babe, just come back when you know what your going to make.

A’s wheels in her head are turning as to what she could possibly make with the 1 yard and what other supplies she would need.

B rolls his eyes with a deep sigh.

You see? None of that had to happen because he was in the car. SO I could process all this in my own head and get the fabric and the elastic I THINK I might need. Which I did. Alas I’m home dying for a day off work so I can bust into this fabric. I found a few tutorials (here and here and here) and used parts from each to make two skirts for two of my favorite little girls.

It starts with a little something like this…

and the Fabric I couldn’t leave behind…

I took a few photos along the way, some were taken at night and some the next morning. If I knew how to use my camera you wouldn’t be able to tell which was which. But, not quite there.

Its all about the Ruffle

Ta-da! This one is for my Niece Jacklin

Because this is a casual Jersey fabric I left the edges of the ruffle raw

And because I hear Scrunchies are BACK! I couldn’t resist

After feeling the success from my first skirt, I tried my luck at a different design for a smaller little girl I know :)

Details…

I can’t get over how cute this turned out! I specifically used this Tutorial over at Simply Modern Mom.com for this one. She actually shows you how to make it out of an old shirt! Re-Purpose!

Miss Adelaide… Can not wait to see pictures of you rockin’ this thing! Hugs and Kisses from OREGON!

Seemed to go pretty good for my first real attempt at sewing clothing!